ASTM PAVING BRICK SPECIFICATIONS
There are two specifications for clay paving brick. ASTM C902 outlines the requirements for Pedestrian and Light Traffic paving brick and ASTM C1272 covers brick pavers for Heavy Vehicular Traffic uses.
Within each specification there are minimum compressive strengths:
• C902 requires 8,000 psi
• C1272 requires 8,000 psi for pavers set on a concrete or bituminous bed (Type R) or 10,000 psi for pavers set on a sand bed (Type F)
For Vehicular C1272 pavers there are minimum thickness depending on the application:
• For pavers set on a bituminous or rigid setting bed (Type R) pavers must be at least 2 1/4 inches thick
• For pavers set on a sand setting bed (Type F) pavers must be at least 2 5/8 inches thick.
Clay pavers shrink during the firing process so both specifications outline permissible dimensional tolerances for particular applications:
• Application PS – Pavers for general use – permits +/- 3/16 inch on paver dimensions of 3-5 inches and +/- 1/4 inch on dimensions of 5-8 inches
• Application PX – Pavers for use where exceptionally tight tolerances are required – permits +/- 3/32 on paver dimensions of 3-5 inches and +/- 1/8 on dimensions of 5-8 inches.
The high firing process that produces fired-clay paving brick produces slight inconsistencies within each brick. Limited amounts of chipping and cracking are inherent in the brick making process. As such specifications C902 and C1272 outline requirements of tolerable inconsistencies.
Brick pavers ‘shall be free of cracks or other imperfections detracting from the appearance of a designated sample when viewed from a distance of 15 feet for Application PX and a distance of 20 feet for Application PS.’
A delivery of brick shall contain not more than 5% brick that do not meet the dimensional and chipping requirements, unless otherwise agreed upon by the buyer
Complete ASTM specifications are available at www.astm.com or from your sales representative.